Steven E. Hollingworth
Contact: Click here to Contact
Steven E. Hollingworth, a partner of the firm, advises individuals, business entities, and nonprofit organizations on a broad range of tax planning and litigation matters. Mr. Hollingworth has substantial experience in estate, gift, and generation-skipping tax planning. His work in this area includes revocable and irrevocable trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, charitable split-interest trusts, asset protection, and business succession planning.
Mr. Hollingworth's business tax experience includes investment fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, withholding and reporting obligations, and state and local tax matters. He regularly advises clients on the tax treatment of litigation recoveries, structured settlements, qualified settlement funds, and related reporting issues.
In addition to planning for the tax and estate planning needs of U.S. citizens and residents, Mr. Hollingworth has advised international families and fiduciaries on the structure of their U.S. investments, the tax treatment of foreign trusts, and the reporting and disclosure obligations of trustees as well as beneficiaries.
In connection with his estate and family business work, Mr. Hollingworth has formed and advised a variety of charitable and non-profit organizations. His experience includes obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, avoiding or minimizing unrelated business taxable income, and advising the officers and boards of such organizations concerning restrictions on their permitted activities.
Areas of Practice
- Tax Planning and Controversy
- California, 1999
- Nevada, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- Juris Doctorate - 1999
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- LL.M. - 2006
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Taxation
- Brigham Young University, Provo , Utah
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1996
- Major: Russian International Relations
- “Clarity From Klabacka: Nevada Supreme Court Upholds Spendthrift Protection,” Trusts & Estates (September 2017).
- “Planning for Decanting: A Tax Checklist for the Trustee,” Nevada Lawyer Magazine (January 2015), p. 18-21.
- “Structured Settlements & Attorneys’ Fees: The Basics,” Attorney at Law Magazine (December 2014).
- “Tax Issues From Employment-Related Damage Recoveries,” Communiqué, Vol. 33, Nos. 6 & 7, (June/July 2012), p. 32-33.
- Trusts From A to Z, National Business Institute, 2019
- Estate Planning From A to Z, National Business Institute, 2017
- Advanced Trusts and Estates: A “How-to” Guide, National Business Institute, 2017
Honors and Awards
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards - Corporate Income Tax Law II, Income Tax Accounting
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards - S Corporation and LLCs, Tax Practice and Procedure
- Desert Companion Top Lawyers